Friday the 13th has put me in a spooky mood. Especially it being October. And if you’re anything like me, you’re going to spend the night watching some scary movies.
Here are 13 Facts about Friday the 13th if you weren’t already spooked enough on this notoriously unlucky day.
1. The irrational fear of Friday the 13th is called friggatriskaidekaphobia. Frigg coming from the the Norse goddess wisdom, who Friday was named after. And the Greek word. Triskaideka meaning 13.
2. It’s unclear why the 13th day and Friday’s were linked to being unlucky. There’s no mention of Friday the 13th before the 19th century.
3. There are plenty of myths and superstitions associated with Friday the 13th. Some examples of these are: If you cut your hair on Friday the 13th, someone in your family will die and if a funeral procession passes you on Friday the 13th, you will be the next to die.
4. Tupac died on Friday the 13th in September 1996. He was shot a few days prior but didn’t pass away until that Friday the 13th.
5. Accident Awareness Day. Finland observes National Accident Day on Friday the 13th. They spend the day raising awareness about safety.
6. Fear of the number 13. At least 10% of of people have admitted to having this fear.
7. Celebrities born on Friday the 13th. Kate Walsh, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, Darius Rucker, Kat Dennings, Steve Buscemi, and Max Weinberg.
8. Religious affiliations? Some believe the number 13 became unlucky at the last supper due to Judas, the unlucky 13th guest, and his betrayal of Jesus.
9. 80% of high-rise buildings don’t have a 13th floor. Hospitals and hotels often skip the 13th floor and room. Even airports sometimes skip gate 13.
10. It’s unlucky to host a dinner party of 13 guests. In 19th century Paris, this was such a strong superstition that there was a career as a quatorzième or a 14th guest. These guests would be available for last minute arrangements to avoid 13 guests.
11. Getting executed in the olden days was very unlucky. A traditional hangman’s noose has 13 twists of the rope, there are also 13 steps to the gallows, and traditionally a blade in a guillotine fell from a height of 13 feet.
12. It’s twelve’s fault. Numerologists believe the number 13 is unlucky because the number 12 is considered “complete”. 12 months in a year, 12 disciples, 12 hours on a clock…
13. While most people consider the number 13 unlucky, Taylor Swift thinks otherwise:
I was born on the 13th. I turned 13 on Friday the 13th. My first album went gold in 13 weeks. My first #1 song had a 13-second intro. Every time I’ve won an award I’ve been seated in either the 13th seat, the 13th row, the 13th section or row M, which is the 13th letter- Taylor Swift
Thanks for reading(: And Happy Friday the 13th!